Dive Details



Sunday 27 May 2018


12:42pm - 2:16pm


This was my first dive in 7 days. With Vicki being sick, me having a cold and the sea conditions not being great I didn't dive at all during the week. This would be my one and only dive of the weekend and my first chance to test the pee valve I installed in my drysuit on Friday. I was diving with Roney, PJ, PJ's friend Sharon, and Dom. I had a little preparation to do to connect the plumbing of my pee valve but once I was ready I joined the others.

We got in at The Steps and swam out on the surface. By the time we descended we were right at the sand line. We descended and the visibility was between 3 and 5 metres. There was some surge and there was a lot of particulate matter in the water. The water temperature was around 17°C. We turned right and headed towards Big Rock.

We swam along the sand line and I was looking for weedy seadragons as we went. I got to the rock with the large orange finger sponge when Roney called me back. He pointed out a grey red-fingered anglerfish sitting next to a sponge. I took some photographs and moved on but didn't fully checkout the area so I could find it again.

I swam on to the large yellow red-fingered anglerfish. It was still in the same spot on the same rock it has been for some time now. It only appears to change the direction in faces. I pointed it out to PJ when he swam up.

I continued on to Little Big Rock. I looked on both rocks behind Little Big Rock for pygmy pipehorses. I found none on the lower rock but I found the golden male on the upper rock. I pointed him out to Sharon and PJ. I looked for the female but couldn't find her.

We kept on towards Big Rock. Between Little Big Rock and Diversity Rock I spotted a small octopus in a ledge and Roney pointed out two Nembrotha purpureolineata nudibranchs. I spotted a third one a little farther along.

I headed up towards New Basket Star Rock and spotted the basket star on the red chimney sponge to the north. I pointed it out to Sharon.

We continued on towards Big Rock. Just past Sponge Hollow I looked for the one-eyed female White's seahorse. I swam around the rock and found her on the south-east side of the rock. I pointed her out to PJ. A little farther along I spotted the juvenile bridled triggerfish.

I swam to the rock below Hand Rock and looked for the pygmy pipehorses at the base but they were not there. I then had a look over Big Rock for pygmy pipehorses and nudibranchs. but found nothing of interest.

We swam a little way beyond Big Rock and then Roney indicated they were turning around. I was going to join them but as I had a lot of air left and still didn't need to pee I decided I'd head for the pipefish.

I swam all the way to where the red Stigmatopora sp. pipefish has been near the end of Seadragon Alley. I found the pipefish in its usual alga. I looked around for others but found none.

I turned and headed back towards The Steps. I hadn't gone far when I found a weedy seadragon. I was happy now I'd seen 4 different species of syngnathid.

I swam past Big Rock and on to the rock with the seahorse to check her out again. I then continued on past Diversity Rock and on to Little Big Rock. I found the golden male pygmy pipehorse who had barely moved.

I headed to the yellow red-fingered anglerfish. It was now around 75 minutes into the dive and time to test the pee valve. I opened the valve and let rip. It was a strange sensation but very relieving.

I then set about finding the grey red-fingered anglerfish again. I was annoyed I hadn't had a better look at where it was. I knew the general area and was very pleased to find it quite quickly. I then noticed it was right next to Di's Rock so I should be able to find it again, if it doesn't move too much.

I started to head towards the boulders when I found another weedy seadragon in the kelp. I took some photographs before heading to the boulders.

I ascended to 5 metres and started my safety stop on the way to Split Rock. I peed again, because I could :) . I finished my safety stop and then swam underwater to the exit. I stayed underwater and noticed some large waves coming in and waited for calmer waters before swimming into the exit. I got out on the rocks which was quite easy as the tide was still low.


Roney Rodrigues, Peter Jaques, Sharon, Dom




3 to 5 metres


93 minutes

Maximum depth

16.2 m

Average depth

11.3 m

Water temperature



Dive Profile from Citizen Hyper Aqualand

Tides at Botany Bay AEST

Note that tides at dive site may vary from above location.