Dive Details



Saturday 2 March 2019


3:20pm - 5:07pm


Some current and surge


1 to 4 metres


107 minutes

Surface interval

2 days 1:18 (days hh:mm)

Maximum depth

21.2 m

Average depth

15.6 m

Water temperature



Dive Profile from Citizen Hyper Aqualand

Tides at Botany Bay AEDT

Note that tides at dive site may vary from above location.











Again the tides were not favourable to say the least. I was keen to see what the visibility would be like 2 hours after low tide but it meant hitting the water after 3pm. There was a bit of a easterly swell but not too large to be a problem at the exit.

I got in from the low platform and swam out, From the surface the visibility looked quite good. It's over 5 metres deep where I was and I could see the bottom easily. I was optimistic about the visibility but not too optimistic as I had a similar experience on Thursday only to hit poor visibility at depth.

I descended and swam at around 60° towards the amphitheatre. The visibility held out until I was at the edge of the amphitheatre at a depth of around 15 metres. As I headed down the last 5 metres I could see a layer of dirty water. By the time I hit the sand/kelp the visibility was only around 1 to 2 metres. The water temperature was around 23°C. There was a bit of surge; more than on Thursday. Just like on Thursday I had trouble navigating. I swam around past some rocks. As I didn't recognise the rocks I was confident I was south-east of the first rock with known pygmies in the Field of Pygmies.

As I was swimming around looking for a familiar rock I found a weedy seadragon. This would take the pressure off finding one later in the dive. I took identification photographs before continuing my search for a familiar rock.

I eventually found the rock I saw my first pygmy on my own back in 2014 and from here I knew my way to the rock I was looking for, even in the poor visibility. I arrived at the rock with the first known pygmy rock and looked for the original pair of pygmies. I looked in their original spot but could not see them. I then noticed the original male (IL2018110202) next to the yellow sponge. I moved to that side of the rock and looked for his partner. I could not see her. I headed to the other end of the rock and found the red male (IL2018110301) behind the red sponge. I looked nearby for his partner and while I couldn't find her initially, I finally found her (IL2018110302) close to where she was on Thursday. I went back to look for the original female and found her (IL2018110201) in the branching sponge near the male.

I headed to the rock above and towards the shore from the first rock. I looked for the greyish female first but found the pink male. I then spotted the greyish female.

I swam along to the large flat rock with sponges which was not easy to find with the poor visibility. I found the rock and started looking for the pygmies on it. I found a small male in the same area I found the small female on Thursday. I was not able to find any other pygmies on the rock even though I spent quite some time looking.

I looked for the rock before Bob & Lucy Rock. I stopped on the rock before that one and had a quick look for pygmies but found none. I checked the next rock for the pygmies I've seen before but could not find either of them.

I swam over Bob & Lucy Rock but only make a cursory look as I haven't seen any pygmies there for a few weeks now. I checked the adjacent rock for the pair I found a couple of weeks ago but could not find any.

I continued along the sand line hoping I'd be able to see Ian's Pygmy Rock when I found it. I checked some of the rocks on the way for pygmies but found none. I arrived at Ian's Pygmy Rock and found the reddish male on the adjacent rock in his usual spot and the pinkish male on Ian's Pygmy Rock. I found a female on the adjacent rock and the greyish female on the main rock.

I swam on towards Seahorse Rock wondering if I could recognise the rock where I'd seen a new female pygmy on Thursday. I actually found the rock and the pygmy was in the same place. After taking some photographs I looked around for a male but could not find one.

I headed past Seahorse Rock and on to the low flat rocks with sponges. I could not see any Weedy Seadragons under the overhang but I spotted the female between the two low flat rocks. I had a quick look for other weedies but saw none.

I ascended to the pygmies. I looked for the new female I'd seen on Thursday but I couldn't find it. I then looked for the pink male but I couldn't find him or his partner. I found the other male and female down and to the right.

I was close to my NDL again so I stayed high as I swam over Southern Cross Rock and into Seadragon Alley. The visibility in Seadragon Alley was not as good as Thursday and I had to stay close to the bottom to be able to see it. I came across a weedy which I think is one of the juveniles from last year.

After Seadragon Alley I headed up the slope towards Big Rock. I looked in the red algae on the way for red Stigmatopora sp. but could not see them.

I swam up behind Big Rock and looked for the grey Red-Fingered Anglerfish from a couple of weeks ago but could not find it. George had told me about an orange one but I couldn't remember his directions. I know it had something to do with a rock behind Big Rock that had lots of different sponges. I found a rock fitting that description but couldn't see the anglerfish. For some reason I looked under the back of the rock and there was an orange red-fingered anglerfish. It must be the one George found.

I looked on Big Rock for pygmy pipehorses but found none. I also checked Hand Rock and the rock below it and was not able to find the pygmies I've seen there before.

I swam along the reef just above the sand line to Diversity Rock. I was hoping to find the Miamira sinuata nudibranch again but after much searching I couldn't see it. I forgot to visit the basket star.

I continued to Little Big Rock and up to the large rock behind it. "David", the Pot-Bellied Seahorse, was in the same sponge he'd been in on Thursday but I was not able to find "Petra". I looked for Dama and Roney's Sawtooth Pipefish but couldn't not find them either.

I swam high on the reef to the rock I'd last seen the large yellow Red-Fingered Anglerfish. It wasn't on the rock, neither where I saw it on Wednesday nor Thursday. I wondered if it was back to original rock so I was back to that rock and there it was.

I headed along the sand line to the rock where the other seahorses had been. I looked in the hole with the pipefishes but could not see any of them. I got to the rock where the seahorses had been and had a quick look before heading towards the exit. I looked at various rocks on the way for anglerfishes before ascending to Split Rock and doing my safety stop.

After completing my safety stop I swam underwater to the exit.