Dive Details


Logged dive number



Thursday 15 April 2021


7:41am - 9:49am


Lynne Tuck


Slight current and almost no surge


2 to 4 metres


128 minutes

Surface interval

3 days 22:23 (days hh:mm)

Maximum depth

14.6 m

Average depth

11.9 m

Water temperature



Dive Profile from Garmin Descent Mk1

Tides at Botany Bay AEST

Note that tides at dive site may vary from above location.














After the great dive on Sunday and great conditions forecast for today I was back at The Steps. Lynne joined me today. The conditions looked fabulous again and I anticipated a great dive.

We jumped in and swam out on the surface. Lynne remarked ordinary the water looked in the shallows. I assured her it was like this on Sunday and would be better at depth. We descended to the edge of the boulders. I was expecting the visibility to improve as we descended but it didn't. It was only 2-4m with a lot of particulate matter. The good thing was there was basically no surge. The water temperature was around 19°.

We veered left before turning right around the kelp and swam along the sand line. I had a good look for Baby as we headed over their location but didn't find them. I looked over the next area of kelp and spotted PJ's baby weedy. I took a few identification photographs and let Lynne have a go. I looked around for Baby who was in this area on Sunday but could not find them.

I swam up to Alex's pygmy rock. I spotted the red male almost immediately and then looked for others and spotted a small cryptic female. Lynne swam up and I pointed out the two pygmies. I had another look around the kelp for juvenile Weedy Seadragons and found a small octopus. I moved on slowly so I wouldn't get too far away from Lynne.

We headed along the sand line towards Jodi's Rock. I stopped at the rock on the way and spotted a dark male pygmy. I'm pretty sure it is the same one I have seen before. I pointed him out to Lynne and just as I was about to swim I spotted a Green Turtle right next to the rock. They are the one with the two barnacles on the right side of their shell. I made sure Lynne had seen them.

I went on ahead along the sand line to just past Jodi's Rock. I looked in the red algae for pipefish but found none. I waited for Lynne just past Jodi's Rock. When she caught up we continued along the sand line.

I looked in Pipefishes Hole and spotted a Sawtooth Pipefish. While I was there Lynne spotted the new pair of Red Wide-bodied Pipefish. I think quite a few people will find them. I went up to Noel&Di's Rock and found Cam in the sea tulips. I took some photographs of him while I was waiting for Lynne to finish with the pipefish. I then went to the pipefish and took some photographs.

I headed up to Di's Rock. Lynne had gotten there before me and spotted Lily, pointing her out as I swam up. I did a sweep of the rock looking for new males.

I swam over to Lily's Rock and looked in the sea tulips on the side of the rock. Tom Thumb was there. I pointed him out to Lynne.

I headed down to the sand line and made my way towards Little Big Rock. I looked in the red algae as I went. I did spot a tiny Eastern Cleaner Clingfish in one alga and it swam off and rested on some kelp.

I stopped at the rock with the pygmies. I'd found 3 last Sunday and 4 on Saturday. I found the red male in his usual spot. I could not find his cryptic partner. I also couldn't find the other male but I did find the other female who I couldn't find on Sunday. When Lynne caught up I pointed them out to her.

I moved on to the rock just before Little Big Rock where the solitary male Red Wide-bodied Pipefish has been. He was hiding in the alga near the kelp again. I took some photographs and then pointed him out to Lynne when she swam up.

I left Lynne with the pipefish and headed up to Skye's Rock. I spotted Little Richard and Tiny Tim in separate sea tulips on the Little Big Rock side of the rock. I initially couldn't see Helen but then spotted her in the sea tulips on The Steps side of the rock. When Lynne swam up I pointed them out to her.

I headed along the top of the reef to the rock where George and Paula pointed out two Red-fingered Anglerfish. Neither were in the spots they had been on Sunday. I did a sweep of the rock but still couldn't find them.

I moved back towards Skye's Rock so I wouldn't lose Lynne. Once I saw her I headed for the sand line and swam along there to Diversity Rock. When I got to Diversity Rock I looked around the kelp below it for the juvenile Weedy I'd found last Saturday. I initially couldn't see them. I indicated to Lynne there was a juvenile weedy here. I then spotted them close to the sand line. I took identification photographs and then let Lynne take some video.

I headed above Diversity Rock to the rock with pygmies. I had only found the male on Sunday and I was hoping to find the female, too. The male was in the same spot I've seen him. I then spotted the female. She seems to move around a lot which is probably why I can't always find her. I pointed them out to Lynne.

I swam past the basket star, still on the green hand sponge, and headed to the rock where Ash has been. They were no longer there. I looked on that rock and surrounding rocks but could not find them.

I headed over to the rock where the two pink pygmies had been last year and looked for the small female I found on Good Friday and saw again on Sunday. I found her. I pointed her out to Lynne after taking some photographs.

We started back towards the exit. I stopped at the juvenile weedy in front of Diversity Rock for some more photographs and so did Lynne. Lynne then indicated she was heading off so I waved her goodbye.

I continued on my own along the sand line past Little Big Rock to the solitary make Red Wide-bodied Pipefish. I took a few more photographs.

I moved on to the nearby rock to look for the second male pygmy I couldn't find on the way out. I looked for the cryptic female but still could not find her.

I swam along the sand line to Pipefishes Hole. I looked in the red algae along the way for pipefish. I looked in Pipefishes Hole but could not see any pipefish.

I took some more photographs of the pair of Red Wide-bodied Pipefish. They were in separate algae so I couldn't get any pair shots.

I continued along the sand line past Jodi's Rock and stopped at the rock nearby for some more photographs of the pygmy there. Just past the rock I spotted an octopus with a tiny arm.

I headed up to Alex's Pygmy Rock. I was not able find any of the pygmies.

I looked around in the kelp for PJ's weedy. It took me a while but I eventually found them down near the sand line.

I continued to Baby's location and was surprised to find Baby quite quickly. I was able to get some nice photographs of them.

I headed for the boulders and ascended to Split Rock. I started my safety stop. After completing my safety stop I swam underwater to the exit. I got out on the shelf and it was an easy exit.