Dive Details



Saturday 26 January 2019


12:05pm - 1:38pm


Sharon, Simon




10 to 20 metres


93 minutes

Surface interval

1:15 (hh:mm)

Maximum depth

15.1 m

Average depth

12.0 m

Water temperature



Dive Profile from Shearwater Perdix AI

Tides at Botany Bay AEDT

Note that tides at dive site may vary from above location.














Sharon and Simon joined me for my second dive, or perhaps I joined them for their second dive. This time we were at The Steps. I hadn't had much time between Big Rock and The Steps on my first dive and this would give me a chance to look. I had also missed "David", the male pot-bellied seahorse.

We jumped in at The Steps and when we were ready we descended to the sand/kelp. The visibility was still 10 to 20 metres and there was very little water movement. The water temperature was still close to 17°C. We turned right headed towards Big Rock.

I looked carefully at all the rocks we came to in the hope of finding the little orange red-fingered anglerfish that used to be near the seahorses. I got to the seahorses' rock without finding the anglerfish. I did spot a small umbrella snail. I couldn't find any seahorses either. It's been 3 weeks since I last saw "Jodi" and even longer since I last saw "Stephen". Hopefully, they'll turn up somewhere else.

We swam along the sand line with me ahead of Sharon and Simon. I got to the pipefishes' hole and spotted both sawtooth pipefish. The male still has eggs. I pointed into the hole for Sharon and Simon to see but it was difficult to explain what was in there.

I swam on a little farther and found a green moray eel in a hole. I pointed the eel out to Simon before I swam on.

I stopped at the rock where the big yellow anglerfish had spent a lot of time. Roney had found a pair of pygmy pipehorses on a nearby rock and I was keen to find them. I thought I followed his instructions but it turned out I was looking at the wrong rocks and was not able to find them.

I continued on to Little Big Rock. I found the large yellow red-fingered anglerfish which is now turning white. I then looked for "Petra" who had been nearby on the previous dive. I found her all the way down near the base of Little Big Rock. I tried to encourage her with a piece of kelp to head back up towards her rock. She settled on a red chimney sponge. Meanwhile, Sharon had found "David" in the sponges on the large rock behind Little Big Rock. I pointed both the anglerfish and "Petra" out to Simon and Sharon, and then when to photograph "David".

I led the way slowly to Big Rock. I looked for the male weedy seadragon with eggs on my way past Diversity Rock but could not see him. I checked the rocks I passed for pygmy pipehorses but could not find any.

I got to the rock below Hand Rock and looked at the base for the pygmy pipehorses that have been there. I could not find any of them: the male, the female, nor the juvenile.

I swam on to Big Rock and looked for Ron's pygmies. I was only able to find the male. I looked careful for the female but could not see her. When Sharon and Simon caught up I pointed him out.

I headed back to Hand Rock to look for the juvenile there. I was very pleased to find it. When Sharon and Simon swam up I pointed it out to them.

Sharon and Simon indicated they were turning around so I swam back with them. We swam over sponge hollow and by the time we'd got to New Basket Star Rock they'd gotten away from me. I started to look for red Stigmatopora sp. pipefish in the red algae on the sand around New Basket Star Rock. I was surprised to see the male weedy seadragon with eggs hanging out in one of the algal clumps.

I took some photographs of the basket star before swimming on to Little Big Rock. "Petra" was back to floundering under the kelp near the base of Little Big Rock. I left her there and took some more photographs of her and "David".

I moved on to Dama and Roney's sawtooth pipefish. I found the male with eggs in one of the holes in the rock. I couldn't see the female.

I swam along the sand line having another look for Roney's pygmy pipehorses before continuing on to the rock where "Jodi" used to be. I looked all around the rock but could not find her.

I headed over the kelp to the exit. I ascended to Split Rock and did my safety stop. I then swam underwater to the exit.